- The transplant was performed by a team of Kenyan and international doctors on baboons at the IPR centre
- The transplant was unique because the scientists did not use immunosuppressants.
- The use of immunosuppressants in current protocol are highly toxic with serious side effects linked to their use
- The new protocol is particularly important for young women who survive cancer but lose their ovarian function due to the heavy cancer treatment
- The next step is clinical tests on women
For more details, see links: